Physical Therapy for Staten Island, NY
Richmond University Medical Center is one of Staten Island's premier hospitals and is nationally recognized as a leading healthcare provider. As a full-service hospital, we handle all aspects of our patients' healthcare needs. One of the most important services needed, after an injury or surgery, is physical therapy.
Our dedicated Physical Therapy team is made up of highly skilled and experienced therapists. The Physical Therapy Department at Richmond University Medical Center treats patients with the latest therapies to ensure that rehabilitation is a successful process. Members of our staff are experts in their field who constantly pursue advanced knowledge and training in the best evidenced-based practices and techniques.
Patients who are admitted to RUMC and referred to physical therapy will be evaluated by a physical therapist. The same therapist will then work with the patient to reach the goals set in agreement with the patient. The physical therapist will also make appropriate recommendations for additional treatment or therapy, based on the patient’s functional needs.
Many patients need further physical therapy following their stay and can be treated as outpatients. Physical therapists in the Outpatient Department help these patients achieve their goals by providing care that is at the forefront of today’s advancements. Our therapists focus on individualized care, delivered using the latest techniques and equipment.
Physical Therapy Services
While every patient's case is unique, the physical therapy services offered at Richmond University Medical Center can help with every recovery. Our services include therapy for orthopedic, geriatric, neurological, cardiopulmonary, and pediatric conditions. Therapy techniques include manual therapy and therapeutic exercise.
- Orthopedic therapy centers on restoring the orthopedic system. This includes the joints, tendons, ligaments, muscles and bones. To treat these injuries, we use special stretching techniques, endurance exercises, and electrical muscle stimulation and joint mobilization.
- Geriatric therapy focuses on the on the limited mobility in older adults. Treatments cater to conditions such as arthritis, osteoporosis, joint replacements and regaining one’s balance. We aim to reduce pain as well as find new ways to help our patients restore their mobility to remain as active as possible.
- Neurological therapy centers on special conditions and impairments such as Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and cerebral palsy among others. The treatment plans strive to achieve and encourage patients to regain their independence as much as possible. We also try to help patients to adjust to their limited mobility.
- Cardiopulmonary therapy aims to help patients who suffer from cardiovascular or pulmonary conditions such as heart attacks. This form of treatment contributes to increased endurance and functional independence.
- Pediatric therapy centers on the needs of infants all the way to adolescents. We provide physical therapy for acute injuries, birth defects, and developmental delays, among others. With therapy, we aim to help our patients master proper motor skills as well as alleviate pain and regain strength.
Call Us Today
Physical therapy is available as an outpatient and inpatient service. In many cases, patients will begin their therapy while still in the hospital, but will transition to outpatient therapy as they grow stronger. To speak to a member of our team, or to schedule an appointment, call us today at (718) 818-3163.